museums, knitting, and (sometimes) more

Friday, February 11, 2005

I'm a sucker, too ...

For "The Gates." I am not really sure that I 100% like Christo (opps, Christo and Jeanne-Claude now, although what's up with him not giving his wife credit for like 20 years?), and I was quoted in the NY Times saying how much I dislike bright orange, but I can't lie. I (heart) public art, I almost cried when I had to remove my name from the volunteer list because of silly grad school, and whether he likes it or not I am dragging JK out of bed tomorrow morning to see bright orange fabric and art tourists and Japanese TV crews be unleashed on Central Park. It's like the marathon, only better, and longer, and without running. Only problem I see is that C&JP's self-righteous self-financing isn't really going to help less-superstar artists secure dough to do projects. But that's another post - right now I am caught up in the spirit of civic pride inspired by public art. Or something. Gosh, just look at the cute minimum-wage "volunteers."
Read about it all here, where, bless them, the Times has an inordinate number of relentlessly cheery articles about the cooperative volunteer spirit, and public art uniting the city, and nice police men communing with performance artists, and etc, etc, etc. Oh, New York City, heaven, heaven, heaven.

On a mostly unrelated note, a nice man in one of ubiquitous east village pizza joints gave me a free slice last night when I was freezing and famished without even hitting on me. Public art must inspire culinary generosity too!