museums, knitting, and (sometimes) more

Saturday, March 12, 2005

Armor-All

Today JK & I went to the Armory Show with D-dawg and Felicia (I like to give my friends fake-anonymous internet names, sorry). I was having yet another cranky late-winter day, so the top highlight was actually a heart-shaped chocolate cupcake from the Deitch Projects booth. Not surprisingly, my favorite inedible artworks at the fair were all by young hipsters working in craft media. (Since Mr. C**rk's Dad made ceramics & stuff fine art, the signifier "craft media" is up for re-purposing, namely, it is free to mean what it ought to: quilting, knitting, and anything involving a glue gun.)
The other thing I learned is that New York is SO 2003, and everyone cool lives in Berlin. Case in point, the maker of the very pretty "Brain Quilt," Christian Holstead:
quilt 1

quilt2
It was fun. Better people watching than the ADAA fair, too.